The laws we must comply with.
What is personal information?
‘Personal information’ is information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual whose identity is reasonably apparent or ascertainable, whether the information is true or false or recorded in a material form or not.
Collection of personal information
The kinds of personal information we collect include, but are not limited to:
- Personal information you voluntarily provide to us in face-to-face meetings, telephone calls, interviews, website enquiries, business cards, and other documents; and
- Personal information provided to us by third parties (e.g. a medical report provided by a medical practitioner).Holding personal information. We hold personal information in secure and confidential files maintained in paper and/or electronic form. Sometimes personal information held by us is securely stored with third party data storage providers. We take all reasonable steps to protect personal information held by us from misuse, loss, damage, destruction, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. For example, we use physical security and we restrict access to electronic records by the use of passwords. However we cannot guarantee the security of personal information and do not accept liability if, despite our efforts, loss or damage arises from a failure to maintain privacy.
Purposes for which we collect, hold, and use your personal information.
We will only collect, hold, or use your personal information for the following purposes:
- Providing and marketing our services to you;
- Conducting our business as a provider of legal services;
- Inviting you to seminars and functions which we think may be of interest to you.
- Any other purpose for which you have expressly consented to our collecting, holding, or using your personal information; and
- Any other purpose required or permitted by law.
If you do not wish us to use your information in any of the above ways, please contact us.
Purposes for which we disclose your personal information.
We will not disclose your personal information to third parties except in the following circumstances:
- We consider it necessary to disclose the personal information in order to carry out properly our services to you; or
- You have consented (expressly or impliedly) or requested your personal information to be provided to a third party; or
- We are required or permitted by law to provide information to a third party.
Accuracy of personal information
While we endeavour to ensure that personal information collected from you is up to date and complete, we will assume any personal information provided by you is free from errors and omissions, is not misleading or deceptive and complies with all relevant laws. We rely on the personal information provided by you. We will not check or verify the accuracy of personal information we obtain from you or other persons. You should provide us with details of any changes to your personal information as soon as reasonably practicable following such change.
Using our website
We do not collect personal information from you when you merely access our website. The only information that we may collect is:
- Information provided to us through website analytics (for example: information such as the number of people using the website); and
None of this information, provided either through analytics or cookies, can be matched to specific users, and so it is not generally personal information.
Of course, if you choose to contact us through our website, then we will collect the personal information you voluntarily provide to us, as explained above.
Using social media.
Social media (e.g. Facebook, Twitter) marketing campaigns include the use of tracking technology.
Disclosure of personal information to overseas recipients.
Accessing your personal information, seeking a correction, or making a complaint.
If you wish to access your personal information held by us, seek a correction to personal information held by us, or complain about possible breaches of privacy, you should direct enquiries to:
Managing Director, Johnston Withers
17 Sturt Street Adelaide SA 5000
Telephone: (08) 8231 1110
Facsimile: (08) 8231 1230
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Managing Director will endeavour to deal with your request or complaint as soon as is reasonably practicable.